Monday, March 9, 2009

Poetry Essay Deadline Reminders!

Remember we are meeting in the computer lab tomorrow (March 10).


Essay #2 is due no later than March 10 @ 5:00 PM at my office.


Be sure to turn in your essay in a pocket folder with the final draft in the left pocket, stapled, and your draft work (see assignment sheet) in the right pocket.


Do not forget to post your final essay also to turnitin.com!




I had a student email me a great question:

"I was wondering how I would go about starting my essay after I have done
seven devices of poetry and stanza by stanza analysis?"

I'd like to share my answer with the class:

Writing an Introduction

Step One:
Once you have written on six of the seven areas of a poem, through that process you discover the 7th area--the theme of the poem--and that can become the essay thesis.

You then write your introduction with a general opening to get the reader's attention and focus on the general theme, leading to the thesis.

Step Two:
You then organize the body of your essay, focusing on the ideas that advance your thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment